I love food, I love clothes

I love food, I love clothes

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A slightly twisted introduction to peanut butter

I have a love in my life that does not like peanut butter, which just confuses me, because if I like it, everyone around me should like it, correct? (For anyone reading this that is new to me, it's all about me and I tend to lose focus and get confused when its not about me)
So I felt I needed to make something that would entice this special person to fall in love with peanut butter. I came up with chocolate peanut butter banana cake bars. Not the purest way to have peanut butter but if I can find ways to add more sugar and fat to the creations that I am making and it makes sense, I go for it.

I started with making a banana cake, rather then banana bread, banana cake would be a lighter vehicle to getting the peanut  butter and chocolate into my loved ones gullet.

Banana Cake
2 1/4 cups cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 large bananas)
1/4 cup whole milk
3 Tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract plus 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temp
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 large eggs

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven 350 degrees spray 8 x 11 pan with Pam
Sift together cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt in a medium bowl.
Mix mashed bananas, milk, sour cream, and 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract.
Using an electric mixer beat  butter and  sugar until its light and fluffy like a cloud. Add eggs 1 at a time  mixing well after each one. Add dry ingredients alternately with banana mixture in 3 additions, mix just until blended after each addition.
Pour into prepared pan and bake 20-30 minutes, till tester inserted comes out with just a few crumbs attached. Soon as you bring the cake out, sprinkle the top with semi-sweet chocolate chips and let melt, then spread over all of the top of the cake.

Cover the top of the pan with aluminum foil and chill in fridge for at least 2 hours. Trust me, it just works and taste better if you do this.

Next, make a ganache by bringing to a boil, 1 cup of heavy cream and pour into a bowl that has 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips. Cover tightly and let sit for about 5 minutes. Whisk together till very well blended, place saran wrap directly on top of the ganache and let cool. Just look how luscious...



Now for the "peanut butter" the best part really, this is something that I could just go for and eat the entire bowl, go ahead and judge me, I do.

1 cup creamy peanut butter (I prefer a natural peanut butter, but you do you and use what you like. You'll be wrong, but go ahead)
1 cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons Honey
4 cups powdered sugar

Cream the butter and peanut butter so much that it turns lighter in color, just let it go. Add vanilla and honey and mix well. Add powdered sugar and mix well, again, just let it go.
Grab a clean spoon, dig into the "peanut butter" and make sweet love down by the fire, awe yeah.  (Just be mindful to save some for the finished product...)


Take the banana cake out of the pan and cut in half on the horizontal, put the half of the cake that has the chocolate on top back into the pan with the chocolate side up. Like this;




                                Then spread the peanut butter on top of the cake, like this;

          Can you even deal? Cuz I can't, I'm thinking I should make these bad boys again, STAT.
                                                        (STAT means now)


Next, place the other half of the cake on top of the peanut butter then slather that up in that velvety ganache, is this not the best way to get someone to love peanut butter? What a joke, this is the only way to go.

                                 

                       See all those yummy layers? But wait! Not finished till you slather all of that ganache all over the top. Clearly it's not finished with out the ganache.... You can see that, correct?

                 Awe yeah, the finished "peanut butter" product, you know you want this, in your mouth....


1 comment:

  1. I want some a that good stuff!! love that you displayed them on the royal copenhagen!!

    ReplyDelete