I love food, I love clothes

I love food, I love clothes

Friday, December 3, 2010

Where can I shove all this pastry cream?

<$BlogMetaData$>

I will tell you where you can shove all this pastry cream....
Right here, Banana cream pie for starters.
Watch and create here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeNEbEL_RWI

 Pie dough
2 cups ap flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2cup cold shortening cut up into small pieces
1/4 cup cold butter cut up into small pieces
4 to 8 T ice cold water
blend flour and salt
Add butter and shortening to flour.
Mush up together with a pastry blender, till the mixture looks like small peas
Add 1/2 the water and distribute evenly through the pie dough. Add more water till dough is moist enough to hold together when pressed together.
At this stage its very important that you dont handle the dough too much. That will work up the gluten and make your pie dough stretchy and icky. Gluten good for bread, Gluten bad for pie dough.
Shape dough into a round disc and wrap with saran wrap, let chill for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.

Roll out pie dough and place into pie tin. Then poke it all over with a fork as if the pie dough has offended you in some way or another. Then let chill for at least 30 minutes. (Are you getting that pie dough works best when cold and not over mixed? Good job)
Line pie dough with parchment paper (not wax, it will burn in the oven) then fill with beans or pie weights. This will force the pie dough to cook nice and flat and not bubble up.
Cook in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Remove parchment paper and weights, lower heat to 350  and bake about 5 minutes longer, or until golden brown.

Now, for the banana cream pie!
Rum, your choice. What do you like best? In my video I used Mt Gay, a little tribute to my gays. I also like Meyers Dark Rum.
Bananas, nice and ripe you can add 2 sliced up bananas or 4 sliced up bananas, whats your preference? You do you. I will do me and add 2 sliced up bananas.
Whipped cream, whipped up to firm peaks (thats my stage name, firm peaks)
Add rum to pastry cream to taste, fold in whipped cream and sliced up bananas to pastry cream.
Place in completely cooled pie crust. Top off with MORE unsweetend whipped cream
Let chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes

While my eyes and heart could make love to this entire pie, my ass begs me not to. So I have a slice and send the rest off with my gays. They deserve it, they are my gays after all...

This pie is great to make even if you don't have a dinner party. Now go make some damn pie &



let me know your results
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment